April 14, 2022, 11:58AM EDT
• 16 min read
Arweave: A Technical Overview
- Arweave is a decentralized data storage protocol that is content-agnostic and designed to provide scalable and permanent on-chain storage in a sustainable manner.
- The blockweave data structure and Proof-of-Access consensus mechanism form the foundations of the Arweave network’s data layer.
- Mechanisms like blockshadows, wildfire and storage endowment keep the network fast, responsive and sustainable.
- The permaweb is a decentralized web interface for hosting both traditional and decentralized applications on top of the Arweave network.
- Arweave has experienced massive growth recently, driven by the deployment of SmartWeave decentralized applications and the need for censorship resistance.