July 8, 2020, 2:33PM EDT
• 13 min read
The Definitive Guide to Bitcoin Privacy & Surveillance: The need for financial privacy
- Today’s financial system is extensively surveilled by governments and private entities.
- Bitcoin is one of the few ways to transact privately today. Due to the network’s public nature, transacting privately with Bitcoin is still difficult.
- Analytics companies and governments are surveilling the blockchain in search of illicit activity.
- Blockchain analytics companies have been criticized on ethical grounds, as well as for their handling of customer data.
- This report serves the first installment of The Block Research’s Bitcoin Privacy & Surveillance Guide: a five part series written by Karim Helmy, Matthew Batsinelas, and John Dantoni.