October 19, 2020, 2:32PM EDT
• 12 min read
Exploring Bitcoin’s privacy infrastructure
- CoinJoin-based tumblers are imperfect but useful tools to gain privacy on-chain.
- There are three prominent privacy-oriented wallets for Bitcoin, each of which is integrated with a tumbler. These wallets are Wasabi, Samourai, and JoinMarket.
- Wasabi and Samourai have each only raised funds from one source, Cypherpunk Holdings.
- Until recently, Wasabi’s tumbler reused its fee address, making it trivial to identify transactions that used the mixer.
- As mainstream tools like BTCPay Server adopt CoinJoin-based privacy techniques, using Bitcoin privately will become easier.