July 13, 2020, 10:59AM EDT
• 5 min read
The State of Institutional Custody 2020
- A total of 28 companies provide custody services for digital assets to institutional clients
- To date, $1.6 billion has been allocated to firms that provide institutional-focused custody services
- 22 out of the 28 companies identified — or approximately 79% — were formed in 2017 or later
- Increased competition in the custody sector has led to firms offering new services to differentiate themselves, with many attempting to build a crypto ‘prime brokerage’.
- This is Part IV in The Block Research’s Institutional Market Infrastructure Collection – a series of complementary installments which define and analyze the landscape of infrastructure providers supporting institutions in the digital assets market today.